Thursday, September 2, 2010

Sister Love

My friend, Jennifer, just lost her sister to cancer this morning. Her sister had five kids ranging in age from 5 to 14--not too dissimilar from two of my sisters. I can't stop crying as I think about how painful it would feel to loose one of my sisters. I see my sisters twice a year at best, and I'm not a great phone person, but just knowing they are a phone call, email, or plane ride away means everything. My heart aches thinking of my nieces and nephews and how seemingly alone in the world they would be if their mom was no longer on earth to love them. So today while I am sad for Jennifer, I am also grateful. Grateful for health. Grateful for sisters. Grateful to love my sisters so much that my heart aches and tears flow just thinking of one of them missing from the world. Grateful to be a mom and know what it feels like to be the center of someones universe. Grateful for kids who can come home from school today into the eager and anxious awaiting arms of their mom.

3 comments:

Sheree said...

I had those same feelings a few months ago! One of my good friends lost a sister following an operation to reamove a brain tumor. Reading the sister's blog of how their life was so perfectly normal one day, that the next she was faced with the uncertainty of if she'd be around to raise her kids really affected me. Really makes me want to hug my kids! And all my sisters too!

More weepy reading:
http://bsbakernews.blogspot.com/2010_02_01_archive.html

Angela said...

I love you guys so much! So true...all I have to do is think about something happening to one of you and I get weepy. Wondered if it was an oldest child syndrome -- thinking of the worst and how hard it would be to cope and carry on. Now I know its a sister thing.

My heart hurts for your friend, Michelle.

matt, bekah, jax said...

Making me cry. I agree I don't know what I would do without one of you. I wish I could give you a giant big hug just thinking about it. We are blessed with a healthy family. Seeing Dad in the hospital last week made me think just how lucky we are. He looked pale and awful and I was so glad that was temporary and he has energy and is a playful Grandpa (mom too of course).