Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Is it Just Me?

Okay, I finally read Twilight. And I must say I was unimpressed. Is it just me? Everyone I talked to has LOVED it. I'd love to hear if anyone else felt the same way I did. At this point, I'm not planning to read any more of the series...does it get any better? Should I try the next one? Or, will it be more of the same?

For those of you who are not hooked-up with me on goodreads, here's my review:
Like an over-hyped movie often fails to measure up, the much hailed Twilight fell flat for me. The one-dimensional story line lacked sub plots and depth. The whole book was all dialog and very little action or plot. The female character, Bella, was annoyingly and unrealistically helpless and her boyfriend, Edward, seemed all too consumed by his "duty" to protect her from herself--to the extent that I found his comments on her clumsiness to be condescending rather than chivalrous. Sadly, Twilight was not for me what it has been for so many others who love the series and are smitten by Edward.

5 comments:

Michelle said...

Michelle, I'm totally with you. In fact I wrote a post about it too a couple of months ago. I can't figure out why everyone loves this series so much. I, too, will not be reading anymore of her books. You are not alone! :)

Angela said...

You've got to read it like you're back in high school again! A time when we didn't care about sub plots or depth or even ditzy characters -- simply the excitement of a world that doesn't exist and a boy who will do anything for a down-to-earth-regular-every-day-girl! Yes, her character can be annoying, but it's just plain fun!! And the teenage romance without the sex makes it even more fun for all of us who remember those days :-) Okay...read "John Adams" for a real purposeful book and then read Eclipse just for FUN!

melissa walker said...

I agree with you Michelle. I think the reason so many people love it is the main character has two good-looking and unattainable (to everyone else) guys after her, she is the rescued damsel in distress, and everyone tells her how beautiful she is. What high school girl doesn't fall for that?

Stay Young, Go Dancing said...

Definatly read the next ones!!!!! you must!!!!!!!
-kay Shaeffer

kristine said...

I enjoyed your review of the book, however, I also enjoyed Twilight. I didn't LOVE it, but I liked it. That being said, I completely agree with you about Bella's character, she was so ridiculously clumsy and pathetic I don't know how she survives on a day to day basis (pre-Edward of course). If you do decide to read on, Jacob plays more of a lead in book 2, and I end up liking him more than Edward... Bella on the other hand becomes more pathetic and dramatic.

I like to make sure people know I read Twilight before the trend began (before there was a book 2 in the works) and the whole craze seems ridiculous to me. The books aren't THAT great.